6 Best Blood Pressure Monitors 2022 & Understanding Readings
How we chose these blood pressure monitors
When deciding which rake atmospheric pressure monitors to include, we considered factors like :
- Location. Blood pressure monitors that assess blood pressure on the upper arm tend to be considered the most accurate, so we focused our suggestions mostly on upper arm monitors.
- Size and fit. Choose a monitor that properly fits your upper arm, which helps to ensure accuracy. If you are smaller or larger than the average size, make sure the monitor is suitable for your measurements. Size is also a consideration if you plan to use the device on the go. If so, choose a lightweight, compact design that comes with a quality carrying case.
- Special features. Decide if you want a monitor that works on its own and stores readings internally. Some devices transfer data to your personal device and connect to an app that offers in-depth readings. Consider the display screen, options for multiple users, and extra capabilities such as irregular heartbeat detection.
- Accuracy. We know that accuracy matters when it comes to your health information, so we tried to include only monitors with a reputation for great accuracy. (And we included information below about how you can increase the accuracy of your blood pressure monitor by taking it to the doctor with you!)
- Price. Blood pressure monitors are available in a range of prices, so we did our best to showcase options for various budgets.
- Customer reviews. There are some things only someone who has bought and used a blood pressure monitor can know about it. That’s why we’ve given a lot of weight to what real users have to say about their experiences.
How to use blood pressure monitors
Trying to get an accurate read ? Start with these steps .
- Get settled in. Make sure that your bladder is empty and you’ve had a minute to breathe. Remove any bulky clothing on the upper body. Place your feet uncrossed on the floor and rest your forearm on a table or chair arm that is heart level.
- Apply the cuff. If using an upper arm cuff, the lower edge should be about 1 inch above the pit of your elbow. It should feel snug, but not tight.
- Power up the monitor. Make sure to check out your monitor’s specific directions.
- Inflate the cuff and wait patiently. Remember to breathe as you usually would.
- Note the numbers. Read the monitor to get your numbers and make note of them somewhere if needed.
- Take a second reading. Release the pressure of the cuff all the way before you take a second reading. Always wait at least 1 minute between readings.
Tips on understanding your blood pressure reading
once you have an accurate read, you may wonder what it means. The american College of Cardiology and American Heart Association say that healthy blood atmospheric pressure in adults is a read of less than 120/80 millimeters of mercury ( millimeter Hg ). But what if your numbers don ’ t match ?
Systolic more than 120 and diastolic more than 80?
Elevated blood press occurs when the systolic ( top ) act is between 120 and 129 millimeter Hg, and the diastolic ( buttocks ) number is below 80 millimeter Hg. Most of the clock time, doctors will encourage life style changes, but not medication, at this point .
Systolic more than 130?
With a systolic read of more than 130 millimeter Hg or a diastolic take of more than 80 millimeter Hg, you ’ re experiencing high blood pressure, and your doctor will determine a treatment plan. Always contact your doctor if you ’ re worry about blood imperativeness results. For more data about high blood atmospheric pressure, check out this article .
Systolic more than 180 or diastolic more than 120? If the systolic total of your lineage press understand is more than 180 millimeter Hg or the diastolic number is more than 120 millimeter Hg, seek immediate aesculapian attention, particularly if you have symptoms like concern, arm pain, or blurred vision .
At home vs. the doctor’s office
many people find that they have higher blood pressure readings at the doctor ’ s office, sometimes because they ’ rhenium less at relief there and because professional tools may be more accurate.
Home rake pressure readings can be less accurate than those taken at the repair ’ south agency, where manual checks are a possibility. One way to ensure that you get consistent blood blackmail readings is to bring your monitor with you to an appointment and compare the results.
lecture with your doctor to make sure you use the device correctly and check for accuracy. Be consistent in your approach and take your blood pressure at the lapp clock each day. Sit in the lapp position, invalidate caffeine, and rest ahead of time for the best results.
Frequently asked questions about blood pressure monitors
How do blood pressure monitors typically work?
typically, rake coerce monitors work by inflating a manacle until it temporarily cuts off blood flow through the brachial artery. The press in the manacle is then slowly released. Within the cuff, a detector detects blood stream. The point when the blood begins to flow intermittently through the artery is the systolic blood pressure. This is the top count on a blood press read. The point when the blood hang goes from intermittent to steady is the diastolic lineage pressure. This is the bottom count. While the monitor is sensing the blood flow, it can besides calculate your heart rate. fortunately, you fair have to check out the concluding numbers and not worry about the work involved .
What factors can affect blood pressure readings?
Blood pressure readings vary throughout the day due to factors such as the time of day, when you had your final meal, and your typical diet. extra factors that can affect your blood blackmail include :
- stress levels
- cuff fit and position
- smoking and drinking habits
- caffeine consumption
- talking during a reading
- how you’re sitting
- a full bladder
Which health conditions require regular blood pressure monitoring?
It is important for people who have or are at risk of certain health conditions to keep a cheeseparing eye on their rake coerce. These health conditions include :
- heart attack
- heart failure
- kidney conditions
- thyroid conditions
- sleep apnea
not comfortable using a rake pressure admonisher on your arm ? A wide range of monitor choices is available to suit your needs. Some of them attach to other places, though this could affect their accuracy. Blood pressure monitors designed for home practice do come with some limitations. Having a doctor of the church or early medical master check your machine can help ensure more accurate readings. A thoroughly blood coerce monitor fits your sleeve good and is accurate. With so many options out there, you can be on the right path to finding one that works for you.
Read more: What is Art Deco?
Catherine Crider, CD/PCD ( DONA ), CLEC, CBE, JD, MEd, has worked with children for the past decade as a trail elementary and special department of education teacher, and finds special rejoice in supporting blossoming families and their infants. She enjoys educating new parents and parents-to-be about their different options american samoa well as the current best practices in pamper concern. Catherine writes for assorted websites and teaches full-spectrum childbirth and postnatal education in several locations in California ’ s North Bay Area and Peninsula .